It's not good news. Especially when her two-year-old is sick too, and she's woken through the night by calling out and heart-wringing coughs. Especially when she has to squeeze herself and her pregnant belly into the bunk bed of said two-year-old, complete with her ten stuffed teddies and dolls, five dummies, and that pillow between the legs that's becoming increasingly important for comfort. Throw in the six am wake-ups, and days of non-stop adventure from little ones, and I feel incredibly thankful that I rarely get colds this bad. Please don't let that statement come back to bite me.
Yesterday was a hard day, today is worse. My head feels like it is underwater at about 100 feet below sea level without a pressure suit. Zara, the little trooper, is coughing and snuffly, but otherwise, bearing her ills far better than I am. Last night, I had Drixine, just so that I could breathe. I googled the safety during pregnancy, and since most of the information said it was okay, I went for it. I figure, a sleepless night is likely to do the baby more harm. But I have refrained from cold and flu medicines, even the herbal stuff, as I really don't like taking anything in pregnancy that is iffy. Panadol's about my limit. When I absolutely need it. Which is almost never.
Thank God Chad came home from work yesterday afternoon, just when I needed him. He took the girls to play in the front yard so that I could cook the dinner in unadulterated quiet. I made enough to last us two nights, so cooking's off the list tonight. This morning, that same lovely man took the girls and Billy to the beach for a play, so that I could rest. I've forgotten the sound of a quiet house. I ran a hot, hot bubble bath, and let the steam sink into my bones. After that, I looked around at the crumb-laden dining room floor, and had a burst of energy. I managed to vacuum and mop with Eucalyptus, which was soothing and cleansing to this stuffy nose. The girls and Chad arrived home to a cleaner house. That was the only burst of energy I've had today.
In my pregnancy with Mia, I didn't get a single illness. With Zara I wasn't so lucky. This time looks to be going the same way. I used to put my healthy pregnancy with Mia down to good eating, but now I realise it was the ability to avoid sickness. With two little ones in the house, and a pilot for a husband, breathing the same air as 180 or more people every day, we're bound to get our share of sicknesses. And thankfully, get better again. Right now, really I'm looking forward to the getting better part. In the meantime, I'm incredibly relieved to have Chad home to take care of us, his girls.
No comments:
Post a Comment